Sunday, September 14, 2008

Outdoor Adventure Badge Earned...

So I survived the girl scout campout. We ended up with only 6 girls and myself due to the "yuk" setting in around this area. It rained, rained, rained. One of the girls' dad came out with us to help set up our tent and get us settled...bless his heart. Upon our arrival they told us that the ground was too soggy and that we would not be setting up tents, but rather we were going to have one big slumber party in the big old 1700's barn that is their main building. Whew!! We had a really good time. The girls were able to meet two other groups of girls from Iowa City and make some new friends. I did have one cryer....I gave her my phone to call her mom and the line was busy, so we went about our stations and attempted a little later, however, my phone couldn't get reception in all areas of the Nature Center. My Cryer, just sat on my lap in every station until we got to the Sugar Shack, where we learned how to tie knots, and build a campfire. At this point she leaned over to my ear and said "Miss Paula, I am feeling better and I think I want to stay" Whew!! She wanted to be assured that I would hold her hand on the night hike and that I would make sure my sleeping bag was close to hers in case she needed anything. I reassured her that would be fine. The other girls were so gracious about it too. Ensuring that she was okay and telling her they really wanted her to stay. We learned about 1st Aid, about being naturalists, and also were able to make a campfire in the wood stove in the Sugar Shack so we could roast marshmellows and make smores. The girls learned a lot of fun games and we sang some camp songs. We also went on a night hike (in the rain ) The kids loved it, we saw toads, and bullfrogs and walked through mud puddles.

When it came time to get ready for bed, we all laid our bags out and then sat down and read some fun campfire stories. By 11pm we decided it was going to be lights out. We let them shine their flashlights on the ceiling of the old barn and make shadow puppets etc. 11:30 it was flashlights out. Ahh peace and quiet....well sorta. I start hearing a whisper, then a giggle, then a "miss Paula?" yes I replied.."can I sleep on top of my sleeping bag?" yes I replied..."miss Paula?" yes I replied..."can I take a drink of my water?" yes I replied..."miss paula?" yes I replied..."is it okay for me to sleep with my socks on?" etc. etc. etc. and so it went for about 15 min. nonstop and finally I just stopped replying and then I hear "shh, I think miss Paula is sleeping" "miss Paula?" "miss Paula?"...."Mommy" "yep, she must be sleeping". A couple more whispers and a few more giggles and they were finally all out.

The next morning we were able to take a long hike around the trails and also play a few more games. We were able to learn about butterflies too as we saw one metamorphing from its cacoon right before our very eyes.

So there it is...we survived and they all are looking forward to doing another camp out where we can actually sleep in a tent!! All the other Mom's were so grateful for me going out with the girls that they got me a gift cert. for movies and to a local little coffee house. They kept insisting that the all owed my for making the sacrifice and being a sport etc etc. (Shh, don't tell them that I had just as much fun as the girls).

No comments: