Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fifteen years ago this moment....

Was when I realized that I was in labor. I was at work and started having some contractions....they weren't real intense, but nonetheless fairly regular. I was afraid to say anything to my manager at the time as I knew she would freak out. So I just went about my business all the while trying to keep track of the contractions knowing that if my water broke I would have to say something. Rob picked me up from work at 9pm and I told him about the contractions but also said they weren't that intense, so that I didn't think it was the real thing. We went home and got ready for bed. We had been sleeping on a mattress in the living room as my back couldn't handle the waterbed any longer. As we laid there the contractions kept coming and were hitting about every 5 min. now instead of the 15min they had been coming all evening. So we decided to call the hospital, as if it wasn't the real deal, I really didn't want to get out and get dressed etc. etc. They told us to come on in and they would check things out. Still afraid that they would send us home, when we got to the hospital I told Rob to just leave the bag in the car because it would be embarassing if we carried everything in and if it was a false alarm we would have to carry everything out again. So I got all hooked up and sure enough this was the real deal. The contractions were every 5 min. and getting a little more intense. I can remember thinking this isn't so bad what do all these women complain about. I thought this would be easy and we checked the clock and saw that it was before midnight and figured if everything progressed along we would be having a valentines baby....well not so much. It was a very very very slow process....in fact it was 8:30pm the next evening when Jeremey finally decided he would join us. To this day I tease him about dilly dallying around and taking his sweet ol' time.

I can't believe it is 15 years later and now we are going to be celebrating Jeremey's golden birthday. We will be enjoying a steak dinner at home tonight in honor of Valentines day and in honor of Jeremey's Birthday Eve.

2 comments:

The Kennedys said...

Happy Birthday Jeremey!!

ShelliGib said...

Time Flies! Happy Birthday!